The Benefits of Computer Viruses

I know many people have had huge inconveniences from viruses and malware. I have spent many hours dealing with the consequences myself. But sometimes I wonder if in the end, maybe it's for the best? Imagine if we had built up the kind of infrastructure we have today without the constant threat of malicious code. A determined attacker would be able to wipe out the entire internet and everyone on it. Like a child who has never been exposed to mild colds, we would be at risk of fatal illness and be utterly unprepared.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think that this mess could have been avoided had people used capabilities and the principle of least authority. Why should your web browser have the authority to write over any file on your computer? Or to modify the registry outside its own branch?

Popular Posts